Building the future now
With a valuable research team, we are actively involved in innovative projects.
Valuable research and innovation team
Strong collaboration with Universities, R&D institutes and other companies to improve the processes and change healthcare.
We build solutions straight to the point, focusing on users needs and requirements.
We integrate new technology to create fast and smart health care processes, creating a breakthrough and making our clients more competitive.
Data and text mining
Dicoogle is a PACS platform to develop new kinds of DICOM repositories allowing to make extensions like, for instance, storage in different technologies. It offers a full set of DICOM services and a web application to support the search, quick view and management the PACS archive.
Neji is a flexible and powerful platform for biomedical information extraction from scientific texts, such as patents, publications and electronic health records.
Goals: To develop a collaborative cloud-based system able to collect pathology imaging studies, extract and indexes features.
Developing improved data analysis algorithms for the 3D visualization of infected cells using 3D image stacks.
Role: BMD offers two positions within the European Industrial Doctorate IMAGE-IN: Imaging infections: integrated multiscale visualization of infections and host response.
Financial: Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (MSCA-ITN-EID) of the European Commission
Goal: To insert on the market a tool that helps in the early diagnostic of breast cancer.
Role: The MammoAssist project suggests creating a tool capable of helping professionals in the early diagnosis of breast cancer, through the automatic detection of microcalcifications in mammographies.
Goal: Develop a highly innovative technological platform for early, fast and reliable medical diagnosis of sepsis, using a minimal amount of patient’s blood.
Role: BMD Software is the leader of the work package responsible for developing the decision model, the centralised knowledge-base and the infrastructure that enables communication between the several processing modules.
Goal: Create and develop medically-driven integrative bioinformatics applications focused on oncology, CNS disorders and their comorbidities.
Role: BMD is responsible to lead the work package of user needs. There are three main goals that BMD is leading: 1) create and promote software development guidelines in translational bioinformatics; 2) gather interactively and analyse the user requirements to leverage effective biomedical applications; 3) assess the software tools developed in the framework of the project.
Goal:To develop ICT solutions to streamline the diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis in underserved regions
Role: Build a centralized health record database to link patient’s data collection, clinical images, and lab test results for diagnosis and treatment monitoring.
Financial: Marie Curie
Goal:Create a distributed and automatic screening platform for Diabetic Retinopathy, based on the state-of-the-art Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) management, Machine Learning and Image Analysis.
Role: Contribute in the development of the collaborative platform and diagnostic workstations
Goal: NetPathology intends to create a large scale medical repository to support tele-pathology, allowing a faster transfer of information and reduced costs.
Role: SME partner with medical imaging project at ACTTIVATe. The idea is to create a strategic plan for a telepathology solution supported on digital image standards and develop a new solution for digital pathology DICOM compliant.
- Luís Bastião Silva, Alina Trifan, José Luís Oliveira. MONTRA: An agile architecture for data publishing and discovery. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 2018 (IF 2018: 2.503).
- Luís Bastião Silva, RC Jimenez, N Blomberg, José Luis Oliveira. General guidelines for biomedical software development F1000Research, 2017.
- Tiago Godinho, Rui Lebre, Luís Bastião Silva and Carlos Costa.
An efficient architecture to support digital pathology in standard medical imaging repositories. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, Volume:71:190-197. Elsevier. 2017 (IF 2018: 2.753).
- Eriksson Monteiro, Carlos Costa and José Luis Oliveira
A Cloud Architecture for Teleradiology-as-a-Service. Methods of Information in Medicine, 2017 (IF 2016: 1.8).
- Eriksson Monteiro, Carlos Costa and José Luis Oliveira
A De-Identification Pipeline for Ultrasound Medical Images in DICOM Format. Journal of Medical Systems, 2017 (IF 2016: 2.456).
- Tiago Godinho, Carlos Viana Ferreira, Luís Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa. A Routing Mechanism for Cloud Outsourcing of Medical Imaging Repositories. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, vol. 20, no. 1, p. 367-375, January 2016 (IF 2015: 2.093)
- David Campos, Sérgio Matos, José Luís Oliveira. A document processing pipeline for annotating chemical entities in scientific documents. Journal of Cheminformatics, vol. 7, no. Suppl. 1, p. S7, January 2015 (IF 2013: 4.54)
- Frederico Valente, Luís Bastião Silva, Tiago Godinho, Carlos Costa. Anatomy of an Extensible Open Source PACS. Journal of Digital Imaging, vol. 29, no. 3, p. 284-296, June 2016 (IF 2015: 1.406).
- Martin Krallinger, Obdulia Rabal, Florian Leitner, Miguel Vazquez, David Salgado, Zhiyong Lu, Robert Leaman, Yanan Lu, Donghong Ji, Daniel M Lowe, Roger A Sayle, Riza Theresa Batista-Navarro, Rafal Rak, Torsten Huber, Tim Rocktäschel, Sérgio Matos, David Campos, Buzhou Tang, Hua Xu, Tsendsuren Munkhdalai, Keun Ho Ryu, SV Ramanan, Senthil Nathan, Slavko Žitnik, Marko Bajec, Lutz Weber, Matthias Irmer, Saber A Akhondi, Jan A Kors, Shuo Xu, Xin An, Utpal Kumar Sikdar, Asif Ekbal, Masaharu Yoshioka, Thaer M Dieb, Miji Choi, Karin Verspoor, Madian Khabsa, C Lee Giles, Hongfang Liu, Komandur Elayavilli Ravikumar, Andre Lamurias, Francisco M Couto, Hong-Jie Dai, Richard Tzong-Han Tsai, Caglar Ata, Tolga Can, Anabel Usié, Rui Alves, Isabel Segura-Bedmar, Paloma Martínez, Julen Oyarzabal, Alfonso Valencia. The CHEMDNER corpus of chemicals and drugs and its annotation principles. Journal of Cheminformatics, vol. 7, no. Suppl 1, p. S2, January 2015 (IF 2013: 4.54)
- David Campos, Jóni Lourenço, Sérgio Matos, José Luís Oliveira. Egas: a collaborative and interactive document curation platform. Database, vol. 2014, no. 10.1093, p. 1-12, June 2014 (IF 2014: 3.372) (IF 2013: 4.457)
- Luís Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa, José Luís Oliveira. DICOM Relay over the Cloud. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, p. 323-333, May 2013 (IF 2013: 1.659)
- Luís Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa, José Luís Oliveira. A PACS archive architecture supported on Cloud services. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 7, no. 3, p. 349-358, May 2012 (IF 2012: 1.364)
- Olga Fajarda, Luis Bastião Silva, Peter R. Rijnbeek, Michel Van Speybroeck, José Luis Oliveira. A Methodology to Perform Semi-automatic Distributed EHR Database Queries. 11th International Conference on Health Informatics, Funchal, Portugal, 2018
- Rui Lebre, Luis Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa. A performant and fully DICOM compliant Web PACS for Digital Pathology. CARS 2018, Berlin, Germany, 2018
- Fabio Maia, Luis Bastião Silva, José Luis Oliveira. Biomedical informatics – How to choose the best tool for each task. Medical Informatics Europe conference, MIE 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2018
- Rui Lebre, Luis Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa. Shared Medical Imaging Repositories. Medical Informatics Europe conference, MIE 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2018
- Eriksson Monteiro, Carlos Costa, José Luis Oliveira, David Campos and Luís Bastião Silva. Caching and Prefetching Images in a Web-based DICOM Viewer. 29th International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems – IEEE, 2016
- Tiago Godinho, Luís Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa. Integrating Multiple Data Sources in a Cardiology Imaging Laboratory. 18th International Conference on E-health Networking, Application & Services (HealthCom 2016), September 2016
- Sérgio Matos, David Campos, Renato Pinho, Raquel Silva, Matthew Mort, David N. Cooper, José Luís Oliveira. Assisted Mining and Curation of Genomic Variants using Egas. Proceedings of the Fifth BioCreative Challenge Evaluation Workshop, Sevilla, Spain, p. 396-402, September 2015
- Sérgio Matos, José Sequeira, David Campos, José Luís Oliveira. Identification of chemical and gene mentions in patent texts using feature-rich conditional random fields. Proceedings of the Fifth BioCreative Challenge Evaluation Workshop, Sevilla, Spain, p. 76-81, September 2015
- Sérgio Matos, André Santos, David Campos, José Luís Oliveira. Neji: a BioC compatible framework for biomedical concept recognition. Proceedings of the Fifth BioCreative Challenge Evaluation Workshop, Sevilla, Spain, p. 17-21, September 2015
- Pedro Sernadela, Pedro Lopes, David Campos, Sérgio Matos, José Luís Oliveira. A Semantic Layer for Unifying and Exploring Biomedical Document Curation Results. Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, Proceeedings of the Third International Conference, IWBBIO, Part I, Granada, Spain, vol. Part I, p. 8-17, April 2015
- Luís Bastião Silva, Carlos Costa, José Luís Oliveira. Semantic search over DICOM repositories. IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics 2014 (ICHI 2014), Verona, Italy, September 2014 5